Sunday, December 4, 2011

Cherry Pie without Chocolate

I wish I had another piece right now!

It's hard to see here, but the pie can stand up on it's own without oozing!

The hardest part of making the pie was actually deciding what recipe to use.

Since fruit pies don't usually have chocolate in them I don't make a lot of pies or even eat that much pie.  I wasn't really sure what I was looking for in a good pie.  But with a pit bit of research I think made a darn good cherry pie.

I ended up pulling the pie from three different places.  The crust recipe came from here.  It turned out as promised; flaky and neutral.  I froze half of it to use another day.

I used the Betty Crocker Cherry Pie recipe for the cherry filling but decreased the sugar and added a dash of vanilla.

6 cups red tart cherries-mine were frozen, I defrosted in the refrigerator and let them drain.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp vanilla

Then because I was a bit worried about how juicy the cherries were I picked a crumble topping recipe from the internet.  I figured the crumble would help soak up the juice.  Chad was looking for a pie that would stand up on it's own and not ooze off the crust. He also doesn't like nuts in food so this is a pretty straight forward topping. I think the crumble helped this pie meet that challenge.

1 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cold butter
Cut together until butter is pea size or smaller.

Heat oven to 425.  After the dough has chilled for 30 minutes roll to 1/4 inch thick and cut to fit pie pan.  Place in pan and flute/crimp edges.  Pour in cherry mixture and top with crumble.  Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until crust is brown.  The crumble topping browned really quickly so I laid a piece of tinfoil over it.  When the crust was golden brown I turned off the oven and left the pie in the oven to cool.  We served it the next day with whipped cream.

I started this pie while the girls were napping and finished while they were playing with Chad.  If they had been around to help they could have rolled the pie dough, stirred the cherries and sprinkled the crumble.

2 comments: