Sunday, November 15, 2009

Meatless Monday-Yummy muffins

It's been a very busy week and I haven't had time to blog. We've done plenty of cooking but I've just been too busy to document it.  


We're back to Monday again so I'll post another Meatless Monday recipe.  These muffins are family favorites.  My mom usually serves them soups and stews.  We've started to really enjoy them for snacks and for a quick addition to the lunch Chad packs each day.  They are super healthy and easy to make as well.  Mom says the recipes probably comes from the 1981 La Leche League cookbook, "Whole Foods for the Whole Family".



La Leche League is a great organization that supports breastfeeding mothers and their families.  I've enjoyed being a member of my local group.  I strongly suggest finding a group if you are expecting or have a baby.  While I'm on the topic of breastfeeding, here is an interesting article that my dad ran across this week.


These muffins would be a great gift for a new nursing mom.  Muffins are quick to make, easy to eat, and these are nutritious too.  I suggest making half the batch regular size muffins and half mini muffins.  The mini muffins are easier for the toddlers to handle and there is less waste.


Recently Addy and I went with some of the friends we made through La Leche League to Rocky Mountain Milling. Now I can make these muffins with fresh, local flour. 



2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 brown sugar or honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins (chopped dried apricots are also great)
1 egg beaten
1 cup buttermilk, yogurt or sour milk (I often use a combo of whatever dairy I need to use up)
3 TBL oil or melted butter (you could substitute an equal amount of applesauce) 


Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly,  including raisins.  Make a well in the center and add the liquids.  Mix just until dry ingredients are moist.   Fill muffin pans half full and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Mini muffins take about 12 minutes.

1 comment: